Well, this blog is not to tell you to resign from your current job , but the intention is to share some points that you should consider before you quit a job.
People quit their job for so many reasons that HR can't accumulate and list.
Some people will have valid reasons and others won't.
Resigning a job is not an easy task, so it is normal that people tend to do some "exit things" that may fire back them one day.
Make a safe take off and landing. What’s important here is :
- Don’t literally fight with your current boss and resign. Even if you have troubles with him/her, don’t mention that in your resignation letter. Try to have a healthy conversation and see whether you can convey your concerns. If your boss is not ready to listen to your points, then try to convey that to HR people during the "Exit interview".
- Don’t let a small difference in salary decide you to change a job. You never know what future expense you might encounter. Making a job shift for salary reason is inevitable in today lifestyle, so do a proper calculations before you quit.
- Always keep good contact with your ex-colleagues. The world is small and you'll never know who will be your next boss.
- Don’t bash about your previous company to your new company. You never know when they will merge and fire you.
- Make sure you prepare for questions that both the new and old companies asks for. Give factual reasons and keep it simple and short.
- Make sure you delete your personal details on your computer before you leave the current company. Also make sure to take a backup of documents that you own.
- First confirm with your boss and then let all your colleagues know.
- Once you are emotionally out of the situation that made you to resign, try to talk to your ex-boss and become friends.
- Even if you get less salary compared to your current job, make sure you really like doing that new job.
- Discuss with your friends and seniors about the new job profile, they might guide you from an outsider's perspective.
- Do talk to the existing colleagues in the company that you want to join. They will give you some hidden facts about the company.
These are the tips that I have gathered from my friends and seniors, and you might see some resemblance as well.
All said, if you are looking for a job change for good reasons ;), then Xebia India is hiring. We are looking for people like Agile Architect, Java Developers etc., check it out at http://www.xebiaindia.com/in/your-career/jobs
Feel free to share your points or comments.